The NYSF Equity Scholarship is designed to assist participants from low socio-economic and/or other disadvantaged backgrounds to attend the NYSF January Sessions
About the Equity Scholarships
The National Youth Science Forum (NYSF) is committed to ensuring that as many talented young Australians can benefit from participating in our programs as possible. The NYSF Equity Scholarship will award 40 students $1,000 each towards their NYSF Year 12 Program registration fee. The NYSF Equity Scholarships are made possible by a grant from the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.
The scholarship is not paid directly to the successful applicants, but is awarded as a reduction in the NYSF Year 12 Program Fee ($3,150 for January 2019). As per usual arrangements, an invoice for the program fee will be issued to the participant’s nominating Rotary Club. It is up to the club and participant to agree how much, if any, of that balance will be paid by the participant.
The application process for the NYSF Equity Scholarship will run parallel to the application process for the NYSF Year 12 Program. It’s important that if you are intending to apply for an Equity Scholarship that you also submit a normal Expression of Interest form, and secure the endorsement of a local Rotary club.
All information provided in the Equity Scholarship application form will be kept strictly confidential. Any information will only be distributed to the Selection Committee involved in the scholarship assessment process. The information will not be used in the selection of students to attend the NYSF Year 12 Program.
Who is eligible?
The NYSF Equity Scholarship is designed to assist participants from low socio-economic and/or other disadvantaged backgrounds. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship applicants must meet one or more of these criteria:
- Currently receive Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY, or another Centrelink payment for students; or
- Currently receive one or more other Centrelink income and asset-tested entitlements, such as Disability Support Pension; or
- Parent(s) or guardian(s) of participant receives Family Tax Benefit Part A; or
- Participant has experienced/is experiencing financial hardship (particularly during Year 10/11) that may preclude their attendance at the NYSF Year 12 Program, and is not currently receiving any of the income support payments outlined above; or
- Participant has experienced/is experiencing some other form of disadvantage or is from a background that may impact their ability to attend the NYSF Year 12 Program without additional financial assistance.
Applicants must provide documentation to support their eligibility for one or more of these criteria.
Applicants for the NYSF Equity Scholarship must be Australian citizens, permanent residents, and/or currently enrolled in Year 11 in Australia. Applications for the scholarship will only be considered if the applicant has been selected to attend the NYSF Year 12 Program.
How to Apply
To apply for an NYSF Equity Scholarship:
- Complete the application form, available to download from our website once you start an Expression of Interest form. Applicants can type answers into the PDF, but once all information is entered the form must be printed and physically signed.
- In addition to the application form, you also need to provide supporting documentation. Information on documentation required is available on the application form.
- Ask a responsible person you know (not a family member) to provide a Letter of Support for your application.
- Scan all documents into one PDF file.
- Email your full application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 May 2018, with your full name and ‘Equity Scholarship Application’ in the subject line.
Submitting an application for an Equity Scholarship does not constitute an application to attend the NYSF Year 12 Program. You must also complete all the necessary steps involved in submitting a standard Expression of Interest, including securing the support of an endorsing Rotary Club. Click here for information on how to apply for the NYSF Year 12 Program.
If you have any questions, please contact the NYSF office either by calling (02) 6125 2777 or via email
Applications for the Equity Scholarship will be considered by a Selection Committee, comprising of:
- Manager, Programs of the National Youth Science Forum
- Rotary Liaison Officer of the NYSF Board of Directors
- NYSF alumni representative, selected by the CEO of the National Youth Science Forum.
Once the NYSF Year 12 Program selection process has been completed by Rotary Districts, the Selection Committee will assess Equity Scholarship applications from those who were successful in their application to attend the program.
The Selection Committee will consider all applications that meet the base eligibility requirements. In the event that there are more eligible applications than scholarships available, the Committee will then consider the personal and supporting statements provided by applicants. The Committee reserves the right to give preference to applicants from groups and communities traditionally under-represented in STEM disciplines. This could include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, rural/regional students, and/or students with a disability.