The NYSF Year 12 Program is a 10-day residential program designed to give students a broader understanding of the diverse study and career options available in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and to encourage continued studies in these fields. At the NYSF Year 12 Program run in January each year, participants will:
- visit science and technology related laboratories and facilities,
- go on site tours,
- listen to lectures,
- take part in workshops,
- go to social events, and
- participate in group activities that improve communication and presentation skills.
The NYSF is run by youth for youth, with a certain number of participants being selected each year to come back and participate in our Student Staff Leadership Program (SSLP) in preparation to help run the program the year after they first attended.
Who can apply for the NYSF Year 12 Program?
Do you love science, or technology, or have a drive to find solutions to problems and fix things? Are you constantly asking Why? How? Why not? Do you see yourself working in a science-related field and would like to know more about science related study and career paths?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, then you should think about applying to attend the NYSF Year 12 Program.
To apply for the NYSF Year 12 program, you must:
- be in year 11 in the year you apply, to attend the following January,
- be an Australian citizen or resident, and/or studying full-time in an Australian high school, and
- be considering pursuing a university degree at an Australian university to study science, engineering, technology, or a related discipline.
Dates for the next NYSF Year 12 Program
In 2021, there will be three separate sessions running for the NYSF Year 12 Program with the following locations and dates. Each session has places for up to 200 students.
Session A: Monday 4 to Wednesday 13 January – Canberra, The Australian National University
Session B: Monday 11 to Wednesday 20 January – Brisbane, The University of Queensland
Session C: Monday 18 to Wednesday 27 January – Canberra, The Australian National University
Application dates: Applications are open from March 1 to May 31 each year. Find out more about how to apply.