Science teachers considering applying for the NYSF’s National Science Teachers Summer School (NSTSS) 2017 should pencil in Monday 9 January – Friday 13 January 2017.
The NYSF has run the NSTSS for over ten years, and will again be collaborating with the ANU to deliver another quality program for teachers of science from across Australia.
The NSTSS is part of the NYSF’s suite of programs and coincides with the second week of Session A of the NYSF January Sessions. The synergies between the youth and teacher programs are obvious.
The program for NSTSS 2017 is still being developed, and will be released shortly. For a taste of what to expect, at NSTSS 2016 teacher participants:
- Learned about the latest developments in science from world-leading researchers;
- Visited first-class laboratories and teaching facilities at The Australian National University and other sites in Canberra and the region, including the CSIRO, the Tidbinbilla Deep Space Tracking Station and Geoscience Australia;
- Toured the National Computational Infrastructure and saw up close the power and interactive nature of modern data manipulation methods and their applications;
- Spent an evening looking at the stars at the ANU Mount Stromlo Observatory;
- Learned how to bring science alive in the classroom with presentations and interactive workshops on a range of STEM topics;
- Participated in a live cross to the CERN Large Hadron Collider and learned about the ground breaking research happening at that international facility;
- Networked with like-minded peers; and
- Interacted with 200 of Australia’s leading science students, participating in the National Youth Science Forum 2016.
Previous participants have reported:
“I (now) feel confident to inspire my students into the fields of science and engineering. There are so many opportunities out there and it is our role to ensure they are exposed to these fields.”
“I experienced the thrill of science and was exposed to cutting edge, real science and it was exciting. It enriched my teaching of science, giving me experiences to enrich my classroom teaching.”
The NSTSS 2016 program can be viewed here. To receive information about when applications open, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.