Congratulations to NYSF alumni who have won an Outstanding Senior Science Student Award as part of the Peter Doherty Award for Excellence in Science and Science Education. Of the ten students who won awards this year, five were NYSF alumni.
Winners were announced by the Queensland Minister for Education, Training and Employment during National Science Week in August and include:
- Jackson Huang – Queensland Academy of Science, Mathematics and Technology
- Jordanna Mladenovic – Townsville State High School
- Lachlan Oberg – Ormiston College
- Rosalie Petersen - Mansfield State High School
- Victoria Poon - St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School
The Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in Science and Science Education, which commenced in 2004, recognise students, teachers, support officers, schools, volunteers, mentors and organisations that have made outstanding and innovative contributions to science and science education in Queensland. They are named for Professor Peter Doherty, a Brisbane-born Nobel Prize-winning scientist who was educated at Indooroopilly State High School and the University of Queensland.