The purpose of this webpage is to outline the refund policies of the National Youth Science Forum (NYSF) for each of its events and programs. This policy outlines how to request a refund and what the NYSF refund policies are.
These policies apply to any person/organisation once payment of an invoice, deposit or donation has been made to the NYSF for any of its activities.
Request a refund by emailing email@example.com. Please name the event/program for which you are requesting the refund and information about why you are requesting the refund (if applicable). Based on the program and event refund policies detailed below, your request will be approved, conditionally approved or denied. The NYSF will let you know the outcome of your request when the decision has been made.
If a refund is approved, the payment must be returned to the person/organisation who paid the invoice, deposit or donation. If the payment information received by the NYSF is inconclusive, further evidence must be given to confirm payment information before a refund can be arranged. The NYSF prefers to refund through electronic funds transfer (EFT) unless the initial payment was completed through PayPal. The NYSF will request bank details of the appropriate person to refund the payment via EFT. If EFT payment is not possible then another method of payment can be negotiated. If the payment was received through PayPal, the refund will be completed through PayPal.
If a refund is conditionally approved, the NYSF will later advise the approval or eventual denial of the refund.
All refunds will be processed as quickly as possible. If the refund is to be completed through PayPal, then this can be completed within a week of the request approval. If EFT payment needs to be arranged, then the refund will be processed once the bank details have been provided. The transaction will be processed within a week of receiving the bank details. If an alternate method of payment is used, the refund may take longer to process.
If the refund is conditionally approved, the refund timeframe is then dependant on the payment of subsequent invoices.
Student Expressions of Interest
The NYSF will not refund a student’s expression of interest payment.
Refunds for participants selected for the January Sessions are available but depend upon whether the travel for each participant has already been allocated and paid for by the NYSF. If the participant’s withdrawal from the program is within a month of their session’s commencement, special consideration will be given to each circumstance.
A Rotary Club may re-allocate its payment to another participant with written confirmation from a representative of the club.
- Withdrawal before travel has been booked
- A participant who withdraws from the NYSF before travel has been booked will be offered a full refund.
- Withdrawal after travel has been booked
- If a participant withdraws after the travel has been booked but prior to a month before their allocated January Session starts, they are liable for any non-refundable travel costs. Otherwise, the fee will be refunded in full.
- Withdrawal within a month of the January Sessions
- If a participant withdraws within a month of the January Sessions, their fee will only be refunded if another participant can be found to replace them. Once the new participant is found, the withdrawing participant will be liable for any non-refundable travel costs and then the (remainder of the) refund will be made in full.
Refunds for participants selected for the International Programs are available depending on whether or not the travel has been booked. The policy is the same for each program.
- Withdrawal before travel has been booked
- If a participant selected for an International Program has paid their deposit but the travel for the program has not yet been booked, they are able to withdraw with a full refund. Any donations made to the NYSF that may have been received during this time are not refunded as all donations are made to the NYSF not the individual participant.
- Withdrawal after travel has been booked
- If a participant selected for an International Program wants to withdraw after their flights have been booked, then they are liable for any non-refundable travel costs and $1,000 of their deposit. The remaining amount of the deposit is to be refunded. Any donations made to the NYSF that may have been received during this time will not be refunded as all donations are made to the NYSF not the individual student.
- Departure during an International Program
- If a participant is sent home during an International Program due to a violation of the NYSF International Program Code of Conduct, no refund of the $3,000 deposit will be made, and the participant will be liable for any costs associated with travelling back to Australia early. This may include rebooking fees and additional flight costs.
The National Youth Science Forum will make arrangements to ensure that the participant is returned safely and promptly to Australia. The National Youth Science Forum will then hold the parents or legal guardian of the participant liable for any costs associated with the early termination of the their involvement in the program.
If a participant has to depart from an International Program early due to an accident or illness, or because of the death or serious illness of a family member, then no refund of the $3,000 deposit will be made. The participant will be liable for any costs associated with travelling back to Australia early, such as rebooking fees and additional flight costs. However, depending on the circumstances a claim may be made under the NYSF insurance policy for a refund of some or all of these costs.
- Donations for International Programs
- Once a participant reaches his/her fundraising goal, the NYSF will notify the participant. Any donations made to the NYSF after that time will not be refunded as all donations are made to the NYSF not the individual participant.
In the event that excess fundraising money and the initial deposit exceed the program fee for the participant then the NYSF will allow parents/guardians to apply for a refund on the initial deposit to the extent that the program fees are covered in their entirety. Applications for a refund must be made in writing, and received within 28 days of the student returning to Australia at the conclusion of the International Program.
Next Step Program
The refund policy for each Next Step program is the same. Participants may withdraw with a full refund up to one week before the first day of the program. After that date, no refunds will be given.
National Science Teachers Summer School
A participant is able to receive a refund for the National Science Teachers Summer School (NSTSS) up until 30 November each year for the following year’s Program. The program’s dates are noted on the NYSF website and is updated each year.
Travel Cancellations and Changes
If changes are made to travel organised by the NYSF after particular deadlines (see below), the person making the changes to their travel will be liable for any of the non-refundable costs incurred from making the changes, unless the change is correcting an error made by the NYSF.
|January Sessions Travel Changes Deadline:||30 September|
|International Program Travel Changes Deadline:||After you’ve confirmed your departure and arrival locations|
|Student Staff/Rotarian Travel Changes Deadline:||After you’ve confirmed your departure and arrival locations|
The NYSF does not organise travel for the NSTSS, the Next Step programs or for the international students who travel to Australia to attend the January Sessions.
Other NYSF Events (Including Dinners)
In general, a full refund is available until final numbers have to be given to the venue; usually this date is set two weeks before the event. After that date, no refund is available.
The specific refund policy for each event is available on the Eventbrite page where tickets are purchased for that dinner.
- Online Store
- New and unopened items may be returned within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. If the item is being returned as a result of the NYSF’s error, the NYSF will pay for the return shipping. We are happy to provide a replacement item rather than a refund if that is preferred.
A more comprehensive refund policy for the online store is available on the store website.
- January Sessions Merchandise
- Refunds for items purchased during merchandise sales at the January Sessions will not be refunded unless the items are defective. If that is the case, photos that show the fault should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with a request for consideration of a refund or replacement.
Refunds are not available on donations made to the NYSF.
For any other NYSF event or program not specified above, please contact email@example.com for information about the refund policy.
The NYSF refund policy does not cover events run by Rotary such as the Orientations and District Selections. Please speak to your District Chair about a refund policy if you are seeking a refund of any costs associated with these events.